Visiting family and friends at St Peter & St James Hospice
We are now able to accommodate daily visits between 11am - 6pm. Covid-19 is still a significant risk to all of us, therefore please read the below conditions before visiting the hospice.
Visiting St Peter & St James Hospice safely during the Covid-19 pandemic
Visits from close family and friends are an important part of daily life for people cared for on our ward. We welcome visitors as we know how important your visit is for the person you are coming to see and, of course, for you too.
We want things to go well, so we’ve set out below our expectations and how you can help make sure things go smoothly. Although Covid-19 restrictions are being lifted, we are still a healthcare setting looking after highly vulnerable people so we need to continue to have measures in place to protect you and us so we can maintain our services.
- Our visiting hours are now between 11am and 6pm daily. We still need to have some limitations in place to allow us to monitor who is visiting. Visiting outside this time is exceptional and only by appointment or invitation of the nurse in charge.
- Visiting should be booked in advance where possible through the hospice reception by telephoning 01444 471598, Monday – Friday 9:30am – 4pm.
- You should book weekend visits in advance before 4pm on Friday.
- We can arrange Google Meet, Zoom or FaceTime meetings for others who want to contact those who are staying with us if you provide details.
- There is a limit of two visitors at any time in the hospice rooms due to the need to allow space for social distancing in the rooms; the only exception would be for young children.
- Please do not visit the hospice if you have symptoms of Covid or have tested positive for Covid
- When you arrive at the hospice, all visitors must report to reception first.
- After 5pm on weekdays or at the weekends, please wait for someone to answer the reception door – our nurses may be busy delivering care. We ask you to do this to make sure the person you are visiting is ready for you.
- We have reopened our patients lounge area, which as a visitor you can use to make yourself a drink or if you need to wait while the person you are visiting is receiving care. Please ask a member of staff for directions if you are unsure of where this is.
- Visiting at the end of life – you will be advised if visiting can be relaxed further regarding the timings of visits, but the other measures will still apply. Please do not hesitate to discuss this with the nurse in charge if you have any concerns or questions.
- When you arrive at the hospice, please use the hand gel located in our reception area.
- All visitors must wear face coverings at all times inside the hospice – covering your nose and mouth. You will be given a surgical face mask at reception. Masks should be removed when leaving the hospice and placed in the bin provided by the front door. It is not OK to take your PPE off in the room or let the mask slip below your nose or wear it below your chin.
- If we need to deliver care to your relative during your visit, we will ask you to leave the room for the period that the nurses are delivering care. You can wait in the patient lounge as mentioned above.
- Please observe social distancing at all times.
Please follow these rules while you are here; this is to ensure the safety of our patients, our staff and you. If you don’t understand why we are asking you to do something or you are not prepared to do what we ask, please talk to the nurse in charge to see if there is a reasonable alternative we can agree on. We reserve the right to refuse visitors but hope this would be in exceptional circumstances.
Please remember we may need to change our guidance in the future based on the updates we receive from the Department of Health and Social Care.
Thank you for your cooperation.
How to find St Peter & St James Hospice
We are on the border of Wivelsfield Green and North Chailey in East Sussex, located off North Common Road. The postcode for your Sat Nav is BN8 4ED. When you turn off North Common Road, you’ll find a long driveway, where the hospice is situated. If you drive to the end; you’ll see you can turn right into a visitor car park. For detailed location information or to plan your visit, please find us on Google maps, linked below.
Parking at St Peter & St James Hospice
Visitor parking at St Peter & St James is clearly signposted and available at the front of the hospice. If this car park is full, there is an overflow car park on the grass. There are three disabled parking bays opposite the reception entrance. Please keep the yellow bays free for ambulances.
Food and drink
Patient meal times
Breakfast – 8am
Lunch – 12.30pm
Dinner – 5pm
Our Cafe is currently closed if you would like refreshments you will need to bring them with you. The nearby Wivelsfield Green Village Store and Post Office also offers a wide range of snacks and sandwiches, and sells flowers.
We operate a no smoking policy. If you wish to smoke, please do so outside in the designated areas and use the ashtrays provided.
Unfortunately our hospice is not on a bus route. We are, however, close to Wivelsfield, Burgess Hill and Haywards Heath train stations and you will be able to get a taxi from each to the hospice.