Covid-19: updated hospice visitor information
Visiting at St Peter & St James Hospice
Following the prime minister’s announcement this weekend regarding a further national lockdown from the 5th November 2020, we are having to adjust our guidance around visiting the hospice.
We still want to offer the opportunity for visitors to come to the hospice, as we recognise this is very important to those staying with us, however, this needs to be on a more limited basis now.
We want you to understand and abide by our rules and guidance while you are here, which are:
- Our visiting hours are between 2 pm and 4 pm daily. Visiting outside this time is exceptional and only by appointment with the nurse on duty.
- Visiting is only for most immediate family members from one named household only – this must be communicated to and agreed with the IPU staff. (Exceptions can only be with hospice staff approval)
- Due to the national lockdown, visitors should not be travelling from any other parts of the country.
- Visiting must be booked in advance through the hospice reception by telephoning 01444 471598 Monday – Friday 9.30 am – 4 pm.
- You must book weekend visits in advance before 4 pm on Friday.
- We can arrange Google Meet or Facetime meetings for others who want to contact those who are staying with us if you provide details.
- A maximum of two visitors at a time from one household, the only exception would be for young children, allows space for social distancing within the rooms.
- When you arrive at the hospice, all new and returning visitors must report to reception first. Please don’t just walk round to the room you are visiting.
- At the weekends, please wait for someone to answer the door, please be patient. We ask you to do this so we can make sure the person you are visiting is ready for you – they may be receiving care, or may not want anyone to visit at that time.
- When you arrive at the hospice, please use the hand gel located in our reception area.
- Every time you visit, you will need to sign a declaration that you are well, whether you have any symptoms yourself and if you have been in contact with anyone else who might have symptoms. We need this information to ensure that you understand and are agreeing to follow our rules. Even if you scan the QR code, we still need you to sign the declaration.
- All visitors must wear face coverings – covering your nose and mouth, especially when you come into contact with any of our hospice staff. It is not OK to take your face covering off in the room, or to let it slip below your nose or to wear it below your chin. If we need you to wear specific PPE, we will provide it for you.
- Please observe social distancing at all times.
- We cannot provide drinks or other refreshments for day visitors or allow you to make drinks on site. You are welcome to bring drinks with you.
Our staff will challenge you if you do not follow these rules.
These rules are for your safety, our safety and the safety of all the people in our care. If you refuse to follow the rules, we will ask you to leave the hospice. It is that serious.
Please remember we may need to change our guidance in the future based on the updates we receive from the Department of Health and Social Care.
Thank you for your cooperation